Every business owner will tell you that the right branding and marketing strategy makes a major difference. But the luxury of big marketing dollars and lots of creative manpower are rare when you’re a small business.
When you’re an up-and-coming company, you’re often bootstrapping along with a small team and an equally small budget. When you’re running things solo, how do you figure out the best practices? Don’t worry. We asked small businesses to share the hacks they recommend for promoting their company on the web. The following tips on social media marketing for small businesses will help you get the most out of your Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook accounts.
Marketing tips for small businesses
“Look to post at least once a week on your social media platforms. The more consistent you are in your social media posts, the more trustworthy and reliable your brand looks. Not to mention, followers will obviously engage more if you are more active on your social platforms. If it helps, plan a social calendar and schedule posts ahead of time to help you be more consistent. When other opportunities arise, you can adjust your calendar and posts as needed.”
–Aerin Ogden, digital marketer, Big Leap
“Find the platforms that work best for you. Don’t feel the need to be on every single social media platform. Know your audience and where they hang out. For example, if your target audience is baby boomers, do not focus on Snapchat! Facebook will do just fine.”
–Alexis Davis, founder, The Content Plug
“Use video whenever you can! It has a much higher conversion rate. That doesn’t mean you need to go out and hire a production studio. See what you can accomplish with a cell phone and a wireless mic. A good light won’t set you back much either. Unless you’re in a highly aesthetics-driven industry, there’s a lot you can pull off without looping in the pros.”
–Maria Mora, content director, Big Sea
“Many small businesses don’t have the resources to develop branded content for their social platforms, but even the healthiest advertising budget isn’t all that helpful if you haven’t established some guidelines for your brand. What does your brand look like? What’s your style? Your brand voice? Take some time to answer these questions and once you have, run your social content through this filter before posting to ensure each and every post is on brand. Consistency is key when you’re building brand recognition and growing your social community. Are you light and airy? Dramatic and moody? Probably not both. Mold your concept to fit the context of your brand.”
–Julie Ashkenazi, founder, Small + Sole
“Invest in SEO. It doesn’t matter how much you’re doing on social media if people can’t find your site. The nice thing about SEO is there a lot of simple things you can do yourself like making sure your site is secure and listing your company on free online listings.”
–Kylie McMullan, principal, Finch Media
“Language goes a long way. When promoting your product on social, don’t think about writing so-called marketing copy. Write about your product in a way that feels natural, accessible, and fun. Think about how you’d share it with a friend, and especially with someone who might want your product. Social media copy that feels real and relatable will get you many more clicks.”
–Rachel Sales, founder, Enunciate
“When people leave comments, do you respond? Put some social in your social media and make sure you interact with everyone who posts or messages you.”
–Laurie Monteforte, owner, Strong Mountain Media
“Making use of automation and scheduling tools can save you heaps of time and will ensure your social media channels are never neglected. There are tools for choosing hashtags, picking curated content for your audience, and almost everything else you can think of. Many of them are free too, so even without a budget, a small business can pull together a great social media marketing stack. When choosing your tools, consider the social platforms you use and the integrations available. Create a workflow that works for you, your team, and your business. It can save huge amounts of time and stress.”
–Louisa McGrath, marketing manager, Rebrandly
“You want 20% of your posts to be a direct product or business promotion and the remaining 80% to be engaging, entertaining, or informative. This prevents people from getting burnt out on the promotion posts.”
–Kay Mayhew, owner, Oshen
“Discover social media influencers that are a part of the same industry/niche of your business. Engage with their content and build a relationship. You never know how an influencer can help impact your business.”
–Jennifer Frye, founder and marketing coach, Clever Me
Brush up on your branding and marketing skills in our IRL Branding Bootcamp workshops at the Girlboss Rally. Experts, entrepreneurs, and executives will be sharing the tools and strategies you need to make your brand stand out. Register now at girlbossrally.com.