The Nugs: I Love Dick + Progressive Politics
On this day: in 1948, Jamaican-born singer, songwriter, lyricist, supermodel, record producer, and actress Grace Jones was born.
- Surprise, surprise: Throughout history, society has treated working moms like shit. A highlight: in 1873, “Harvard Medical School professor Edward Clarke argues that higher education makes women infertile.” …….Sure
- Good news, freelancers: this law is about to make your life a whole lot easier. New York City is cracking down to help freelancers get paid for their work. For jobs paying $800 or more, freelancers must be paid either by a date specified in a contract.
- Amazon’s new series I Love Dick is reclaiming the male gaze “to validate women's experiences in the world.” The show’s creators, playwright Sarah Gubbins, and executive producer Jill Soloway (who is also the creator and showrunner of Transparent), discuss framing the show to empower storytelling from a female perspective.
If you aren't watching I Love Dick then quite simply I fear for you— Kate Berlant (@kateberlant) May 15, 2017
- The new Hulu series The Handmaid’s Tale has been talked about recently as a chilling look into the potential future in a Trump presidency, but Melayna Williams reminds us that for black women, it’s a dystopia that history has already seen.
- If you haven't already heard by now, avocado toast is ruining your life, says this rich jerk. According to Australian millionaire Tim Gurner, treating yourself to a tartine once in a while is apparently the reason we can't afford houses, along with diamonds, and iPhones, of course.
- Turns out that progressive politics will not be the harbinger of more women in leadership positions. Typically conservative states like Montana and Alaska beat out California for higher percentages of female execs.
- Need some inspo? Check out Fast Company’s lessons from the year’s 100 most creative people. Among them, Apple’s Isabel Mahe, Snap’s Lauryn Morris, and your favorite multimedia wunderkind boyfriend, Donald Glover.
— Tori Borengasser