The Nugs: Salary Negotiation + Getting Arrested for Laughing
On this day: In 1907, Katharine Hepburn, American actress, singer, four-time Academy Award winner, and the American Film Institute’s pick for the greatest female star in Hollywood history was born.
- In a way-too-true-to-life interpretation of the Margaret Atwood quote “Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them,” a woman has been prosecuted for laughing at Jeff Sessions during his confirmation hearing. She was convicted and could face 12 months in prison, $2,000 in fines, or both.
- We all take pride in ~The Hustle~, but…..should we? Fast Company makes the argument that the notion of constant hustling is damaging and contributes to the growing societal obsession with busyness.
- Erin Lowry, author of Broke Millennial, outlines how she went from making $23k to six figures in just 4 years. The biggest takeaway? The art of negotiation is CRUCIAL.
- The sister duo behind the fashion label Rodarte are teaming up again to direct their first film, Woodshock. The film stars Kirsten Dunst, wandering through dreamy suburbs and lush forests, and is being produced by A24, the same company that put out Room, The Witch, and Moonlight (um, hello!!) . Look out for it on September 15th.
- Modern ladies are gettin’ dat paper, but as our assets are growing, it turns out that we don’t have a ton of resources to help manage that money. Ladies are looking for fellow female financial advisers, but less than a third of all personal financial advisers are women. (But btw, our buds at Ellevest are helping to combat this!)
- If you’re going through a tough time, or just need a li’l confidence boost to finish off your week, check out some of the inspiring answers women gave about how they keep from comparing themselves to other ladies.