Today in Girlboss History // 7.15.16
On this Day: In 1952, eight-year-old Gladys Knight kicks off a legendary career by winning Ted Mack’s Original Amateur Hour.
- Eleven of Google’s 13 proposed emojis of women in a diverse array of jobs (like being a mechanic or fronting a David Bowie cover band) have been approved by the Unicode Consortium. // The Verge
- Hope Solo calls out the National Women’s Soccer League for various oversights, including allowing a game to be played on a field 12 yards narrower than regulation. // Washington Post
- The smartphone “made for women” (it’s smaller! It has a special selfie camera that makes your skin look “delicate”!) is, unsurprisingly, condescending and a dud. // Engadget
- Some smart people suspect women may make better entrepreneurs. // Forbes
- French women took to social media with the hashtag #LesPrincessesOntDesPoils—”princesses have hair”—to remind everyone that armpit fuzz is part of being a person. // TIME
- Next week, there will officially be a President and Vice-President Barbie. // Forbes