The Nugs: Women Snag All the Jobs + “Complicit” Ivanka is Confused
On this day: In 1915, legendary jazz vocalist Billie Holiday (a.k.a. Lady Day) was born. Her distinctive vocal style left an indelible impression on pop music, as did her legacy as an innovative, daring artist through decades of racial strife. Posthumously, she was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1973.
- Amid the less-than-yuuuuuge jobs numbers that just rolled in for March from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, new jobs were disproportionately made up by women: 90,000 fewer married men and 352,000 additional married women, to put one aspect in perspective.
- This past week, a bunch of incredible women spoke at Tina Brown’s Women in the World Summit: Hillary Rodham Clinton, Scar Jo, novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards, Diane von Furstenberg, Sallie Krawcheck and many more. Catch our roundup of the best Hillary moments here.
- ICYMI: It was Equal Pay Day on Tuesday. On average, women will lose at least $500,000 over the course of their careers due to the gender pay gap (and that number is way higher if you’re black or Latina). We put together a calculator that’ll tell you how much you’ll miss out on if things stay the way they are, along with a quick guide to calling your representatives and letting them know this is unacceptable.
- Speaking of Equal Pay Day: A few days prior, President Trump rolled back protections for women in the workplace that were put in place by President Obama. He also came out in support of Bill O’Reilly, who has paid out $13 million in settlements to five women over sexual harassment allegations. All that and more in this roundup of women getting blamed for a lot of shit this week.
- Hey there, sports fans: The MLB is set to host its first girls’ baseball tournament in L.A. from April 13th through the 15th, which is also Jackie Robinson Day. “MLB and USA Baseball have listened to the growing demand for girls’ and women’s baseball by launching this unprecedented event,” says commissioner Robert Manfred. Keep makin’ those demands, and let’s play ball.
- It came out this week that First Daughter (and self-described feminist) Ivanka Trump met with Planned Parenthood on the DL in the weeks after the election, reportedly at her request. The conversation appears to have been fruitless; Ivanka had not publicly spoken up about the organization and has not intervened against her dad and the GOP’s ongoing vows to defund it. It also came out this week that she doesn’t know the definition of the word “complicit.”
- Lastly, in regards to that that dumpster-fire-wrapped-in-soiled-toilet-paper-dipped-in-bong-water of a Pepsi ad starring Kendall Jenner that ran early this week and then was immediately taken down, here are the best tweets about it.