The Week in Girlboss News: Farewell to the Obamas + How to Stream the Women’s March
On this day: In 1993, Audrey Hepburn, who donated proceeds from her ballet performances as a teenager to the Resistance against the Nazis and later went on to receive a Presidential Award of Freedom for her humanitarian work for UNICEF, died at age 63. She’s also one of the most enduring fashion icons and beloved actresses of all time (nbd). And she’s an EGOT (nbd).
- Fiona Apple and Donald Trump put out a duet together. Really. “Tiny Hands” samples that “gram ‘em by the pussy” clip, laced throughout Fiona chanting "We don't want your tiny hands / anywhere near our underpants." Expect it to be blaring on stereos all through inauguration weekend.
- Time to face the music, ladies: The greatest-of-all-time FLOTUS is officially out of the White House as of today (sob). There’s no measurement for how much the Obama family will be missed by many, many Americans. Here are 11 of Michelle's most inspiring, empowering quotes that you can bookmark for when you need a little reminder of what grace, intelligence and kindness sound like.
- Not able to take part in the Women’s March on Washington or any of the sister marches on Saturday? Catch a live stream of the events starting at 10 a.m. EST. Speakers include Angela Davis, Gloria Steinem, America Ferrera, Scarlett Johansson and many more.
- Seventy-nine-year-old Texas grandmother Elsie Hay Cook issued what many are calling The Sickest Burn of All Time to Donald Trump with this photo and caption she posted on the Addicted to Knitting Facebook group. Who run the world? Elsie.
- Disappointed but not defeated: If you’re still stunned by the results of the election and aren’t sure what course of action to take next, take a cue from the talented Hillary staffers who’ve vowed to continue fighting for her platforms.
- Speaking of Hillz, she wore a white pantsuit and white cashmere Ralph Lauren coat to the inauguration ceremony in what many are speculating to be an homage to the suffragette movement and solidarity with tomorrow’s women's marches.
- Lastly, if you need a pick-me-up today: This piece about Congresswoman Maxine Waters and her now-legendary 21-second press conference is everything. She’s got no time for anybody’s nonsense and neither do you.