Today in Girlboss History // 7.1.16
On this day: Cosmetics mogul Estée Lauder was born in 1906; punk-rock leading lady Deborah Ann Harry (a.k.a. Debbie Harry, pictured) was born in 1945; and hip-hop legend Melissa Arnette Elliott (a.k.a. Missy Elliott) was born in 1971.
- U.S. Gymnastics has enough awesome female gymnasts to fill out two Olympic teams (alas, we only get one). // USA Today
- There is a slippery slope with the word “empowerment” as it relates to women and power. // TIME
- The National Women’s Business Council launched an online platform to provide resources to female entrepreneurs called Grow Her Business. // Fortune
- Women get shortchanged when it comes to saving for retirement. // USA Today
- Nike designed a short, highly impractical trapeze-dress for players at Wimbledon; players were pretty pissed. // The New York Times
- For her 81st birthday, Dame Judi Dench got her first tattoo. // Bustle